OK Music Club provides fun sessions for children with additional needs and their siblings. Exploring sound and movement, using the keyboard, African drums, bells, small percussion instruments, multi-sensory equipment, lights and silhouettes, to give the children an opportunity to experience different ways to explore their imagination and creativity. Fun group music sessions, for children aged 4 months to 12 years, regardless of their abilities.
The children listen to drums, flutes and piano and begin to improvise on percussion instruments, keyboard, bells or shakers, learning when to start and stop, and play loudly or softly. The sessions are run by our Music Director, Edison Carolino, and take place on Tuesday afternoons at local charity Skylarks.
There are 2 age groups: 4 months to 6 years, and 7 to 12 years of age. There is also a booked group for a maximum of 6 children which runs every 6 weeks to allow for more concentrated input to help development.
- To enjoy an activity with their siblings and families
- To build positive relationships and start to interact
- To develop an ability to listen
- To improve focus
- To gain confidence, make eye contact and vocal sounds
- To develop communication skills
For more information visit Skylarks or call Fiona Morgan on 07946 646033.
- Children develop essential non-verbal communication such as turn taking, eye contact, awareness of self and others.
- They are helped to learn to listen, focus and follow instructions.
- They learn to stop and start whilst playing an instrument. Some non-verbal children go on to say these words in a session and verbalise them in other situations.
- They develop creativity
- They learn to interact with others in the group
- Their emotional well-being and confidence are improved
- Some children smile for the first time at these sessions and some who have not spoken before, begin to speak.
OK Music Club is funded by BBC Children-in-Need.