OK Music Club provides fun group music sessions for children with additional needs and their siblings aged 4 months to 12 years, regardless of their abilities. The sessions are run by our Music Director, Edison Carolino, and take place on Tuesday afternoons at local charity Skylarks in Twickenham in the London Borough of Richmond.
The children listen to drums, flutes and piano and begin to improvise on percussion instruments, keyboard, bells or shakers, learning when to start and stop, and play loudly or softly.
Exploring sound and movement, using musical instruments, multi-sensory equipment, lights and silhouettes, to give the children an opportunity to experience different ways to explore their imagination and creativity.
We also run regular drumming sessions.
For more information visit Skylarks or call Fiona Morgan on 07946 646033.
OK Music Club is funded by BBC Children-in-Need.
- To enjoy an activity with their siblings and families
- To build positive relationships and start to interact
- To develop an ability to listen
- To improve focus
- To gain confidence, make eye contact and vocal sounds
- To develop communication skills
- Children develop non-verbal communication such as turn taking, eye contact, awareness of self and others.
- They are helped to learn to listen, focus and follow instructions.
- They learn to stop and start whilst playing an instrument.
- They learn to interact with others in the group
- Their emotional well-being and confidence are improved
- Some children smile for the first time and some who have not spoken before, begin to speak.