OK Music Group takes place at Richmond Mencap on Friday mornings as part of an activity morning for adults with learning disabilities who are living at home. OKMT provides a 1 hour music therapy group led by a music therapist with a master’s degree and wide experience in this field, with Mencap providing support staff. Contact Richmond Mencap for information on how to take part on tel: 020 8744 1923. Email· firstname.lastname@example.org
Many of the participants are likely to be isolated and lack access to positive activities where they can make friends, as there are currently no day centres in Richmond for adults with learning disabilities.
- Checking how everyone is and ice-breaker such as ‘pass the beat’ tailored to ability
- Creating soundscapes on a theme with pictures to help suggest ideas.
- Listening to music with participants encouraged to share their favourite music and how it makes them feel.
- Improvisation, with participants playing freely together using percussion and keyboard.
- Singing together to build on the music sharing/listening activity.
- A chance at the end for relaxation and mindfulness and feeling calm
- Engaging with others in a group activity and forming bonds, promoting socialisation and interaction
- Making friends, reducing their loneliness and isolation
- Increased confidence to express themselves and reduced anxiety
- Making music with others will bring joy, lift moods and improve mental well-being