Currently due to Covid-19 restrictions the OK Youth Choir is taking place online in 2 groups on Saturday mornings. A Choir for children with additional needs and their siblings. The Choir gives pupils the opportunity to develop their skills, find their own voice and gain the confidence to sing in front of others. Children who are mute will often start to sing in a choir; others with communication difficulties may sing better than they speak. Choir sessions are on Saturday morning for 45 minutes with 2 age groups: ages 5-11 and ages 12-25
- Learning breathing techniques by for example blowing instruments
- Physical movement and learning rhythm.
- Constant repetition to help those with memory problems
- Learning songs for performance
- Improved communication skills
- Reduced isolation and improved social skills
- Improved concentration
- Increased confidence and pride
- A chance to share the joy of singing and performing with others
- Feeling part of a community
OK Youth Choirs are inclusive choirs for children with disabilities including non-verbal and their siblings, run in 2 age groups – 5-11 and 12-25.
Singing in the choir has improved the emotional well-being of the children and helped them to gain confidence, social and communication skills, given them access to the arts and the joy of singing reduced their isolation enabling them to make friends.
In our simple survey for the children and young people:
- 100% chose the Happy Face to describe how the choir made them feel
- 100% said the choir had helped them to sing better,
- 100% said they had made friends
- 95% said they felt part of a group
- 80% said it made them feel more confident.
- 60% said they found it easier to speak to other people.
The choirs performed together at our Christmas concert and also performed on BBC Breakfast to close a programme on SEND issues just before Christmas.
When: Saturday mornings during term-time
Where: Newland House School, Waldegrave Park, Twickenham TW1 4TQ
Please call 07435 062212 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.